Cranking on the interior

With the holidays over it’s time to start updating on the progress. It’s still been a slog. One thing leads to another leads to another. I am at the point where I’m able to start final assembly on the interior. But first here’s where we’ve been over the last month.

We’re using the carpet that came out of the car. It was installed in the mid 90s when the last refresh happened. It was dirty, the backing was trashed but otherwise it’s not in bad shape. With some jute backing from Mac’s, Tuff Stuff, a Spot Bot with Bissell heavy duty carpet shampoo and a bunch of elbow grease she whipped the carpet back into shape. Here’s the rear section, the front was the same thing.

Continue reading “Cranking on the interior”

More paint and refurb

With the welding out of the way it’s time to start sealing so we can coat it and install the deadening.  I used two types of seam sealer.  I used a brushable Evercoat sealer and tube applied sealer from Dominion.    I added the Ford Weldment and Sealer Assembly Manual to my collection prior to starting the floor project.  It tells you where it was welded and by what process and where to seal using the type of sealer for that particular joint.  I mostly followed the welding as it was replacing factory spot welds but the welds on the newly minted joints (from cutting things out) and sealing those I used the “regular guy” method of saying “this looks good here” and welding or sealing it that way.

The first shot was with the brushable sealer in every nook and cranny I could slather it into as well as all the plug welds.  First though I checked to make sure those bits were supposed to be sealed.  And they were.  The tube sealer was applied and leveled over the brushable at every seam but not over the plug welds.  I did the same under the car.

Continue reading “More paint and refurb”

No good deed goes unpunished

In the midst of the restoration spiral.  You mean to do one thing and in order to get that done several other things need to be done.  You’re peeling the restoration onion.  It’s been a long, hard slog on the floor refresh.  What started as a carpet cleaning and interior refresh has turned into fab, paint and minor upholstery.

Continuing from the last update the floor panels were removed to make way for the new panels.  Some drilling of spot welds and a bit of orange paint pen to mark where I need to cut and I’m off.  The seat pedestal was removed prior.

Continue reading “No good deed goes unpunished”

He drank my milkshake

Results from the Blackstone test.  About 120 miles on the sample.  Pics of the filter cut open were a couple of posts ago.

Findings:

High metal readings.  Way high.  They say some of this could be the result of the engine “awakening from slumber” and washing out some corrosion.   But it’s not all from that.  Their words.  Very cool because that’s what it is.  They say if the oil pressure is good (it is though I’ll put a real gauge on it after the floor) and it runs well (it does) then do some quick flushes to clean it some more.  Keep checking the filter and oil for metals and send another sample in 500 miles. It’ll need to get cracked open anyway but if I can put it off for a while that would be deluxe.

I’m floored

After putting some miles on and getting used to having a second car around the house we were looking to start a quickie refresh of the interior.    Five or six years ago when we started the small batch manufacturing business we decided we really didn’t need two cars.  It worked well for us to be a one car family.  And we certainly didn’t want another car payment at the time.  Now that the Focus is paid off we don’t want another.

The original plan was to finish the desert toy, a street legal class 7100 off road race truck and use that as a kick around car and desert toy.  About mid way through that build Dad decided he wanted to pass the Mustang on to me as they downsized and moved back to civilization.    The Ranger was sidelined to focus on the Mustang.  It was meant to be easy to get back on the road.  Which it was easy to get started and able to drive it.  But not for long distances or being able to steer or stop.  So a bit more was needed to get it back on the road.  Turned out great.

Obligatory shade tree mechanic photo.  The tree was a mere Festivus Pole when we moved in 10 years ago.  Now it provides actual shade.

Continue reading “I’m floored”