Up until a few days ago I’d been enjoying cruising around, driving to work, running errands. I put over a couple hundred miles on it since I changed the break in oil. It drives like an old car. After I finished the steering rebuilt from the previous post I took it to the local chain joint for an alignment. Of the places near that could get me in that day they were only ones that would tackle it. They said they had an “old guy” that worked the alignment rack and he would know what to do. The toe and camber are pretty easy to set from my racing days. Setting the caster on this one was cumbersome so rather than spend the time I sent it to the old guy.
Continue reading “No posts, lots of work”
It’s going swimmingly. With the death rattle mostly fixed by the front bushing/suspension refurb a month or two back the only thing remaining on the front was danger steering. It was a good quarter turn on the wheel. I thought it might be the box. But it wasn’t. That box wasn’t in bad shape. I showed the teardown a few posts ago. What was left after cleaning was to seat the new bearings and install the reconditioned sector shaft.
I got the bearings from an industrial supply joint on ebay, $20. I got the lower shaft seal, upper worm seal and housing gasket from C&G Ford Parts. All in I spent under $40 on parts for the rebuild.
Continue reading “I have control (valve) issues”
It’s been a long wait. Too long. My killer deal of a vise fell by the wayside. Amazon updated the deliver time to right about now, or more than two weeks from when it was originally due. That meant I had to go buy a vise locally (and pay retail). It was a similar promotion/package for a Wilton vise but not the bullet style. Bummer. But I needed a vise so I could get back to finishing the car. I got the free hammer and a different funky color but the vise was a Chinese made Wilton 6 1/2″ utility vise. It’s a nice vise. But it ain’t a bullet.
Continue reading “Finally the steering goes back on”
While I’m still waiting on the vise I was inspired from a thread at VMF to make a dust separator for the blast cab. The Amazonians have increased the delivery time another couple of days but at an almost $300 savings for the vise and a 4 lb hammer thrown in for free I can wait. And so will the steering component rebuild. But I can refurb links and mounts in the meantime.
My cabinet is the smaller HF cab, about 30 lb capacity. I’ve done some mods so it performs more like a pro cabinet with a few exceptions. First exception it leaks. Like the Titanic. Even with a bunch of RTV along the seams. I long ago cracked the glass (since replaced), it had no light when I bought it and the gun and tips aren’t that good. The material hopper doesn’t settle so well so you need to move it back to the pickup tube by hand. But it’s inexpensive. It can be made to more of a pro level with minimal cost. Minimal compared to buying a new higher end cab. A good high end cab will be a grand plus shipping. You can buy and mod the HF cab for under $500.
Continue reading “It’s a blast… cabinet”
It was a bad week for the vise in the ol’ shop.
Continue reading “Steer clear”